By Elisabeth BRIGANT
Published on July 12, 2016
Our Aladdin’s magic lamp puts light on the effect “quick” and invasive of the news, the internet, the media… The Magic happens with fluidity, just like the energy
dynamics, constantly changing.
Here comes the manifestation of underlying affinities, along with the True awareness. As well as, finally, the understanding. From there can the concretisation easily
A Dynamic and Vitalist Decoding...
Come listen to your inner voice growing
Come widen your points of view
Come develop your projects
Come make your actions stronger
Come make your dreams come true
The three of them address how the Focus is being oriented by the multiplicity of social medias and other solicitations due to Technology, for one.
In a nutshell, to take care of our Focus allows our Creative Dynamic to grow, individually and collectively, and to reach our Dream.
Observe the waste of time
Notice how much of this Focus goes to our phones, tablets…
Make sure of your real/actual motivation
Compare it with your first intention
Conclude what is the best for you
- *“It is in Facebook’s interest to have us scrolling the news feed as much as possible within a day, and to achieve that,
it distracts us from our first intention.” *“This is attention economy, and it’s going to get worst and worst with the competition between the apps”
Tristan Harris is chocked by the limits of choice and attention.
- As a teenager, he takes interest in Magic. As a Computer Engineer, he studied in Stanford persuasive Technology Lab and worked at
Google as ethicist/“Product Philosopher”.
He grows aware of the effect of new Technologies as they “shape the attention of a billion people” specially “without any thought on the subject”
He starts a debate at Google, without success:
- *“I decided to make a presentation, a manifesto. I explained how a few people, mostly men, living in San Francisco, would decide how a billion people over the
world would spend their attention” - *“It was a big success and I was offered to stay…The truth is, it is hard for those problems to become a priority when the company has to meet the objectives of
He created the movement “Time Well Spent” to distinguish Technology Design Ethics. In other words, Technology that helps us spend our time better by encouraging social
- *“It would be Technologies that give us back our freedom of choice. If your phone were really at your service, it wouldn’t show you every day “everything you are
missing”. It wouldn’t have you enter this fabricated matrix” - *“For Technologies to help us meet these fundamental human needs instead of making up for them, it has to change. It won’t be
quantitative, like getting less notifications. All the screens would be drastically different and would create social bond through design. - *” For example, instead getting to bed or waking up
with Facebook, comparing ourselves to all our other friends, our phone would make some space/room to connect us with our dear ones. If you do yoga in the morning, it doesn’t open a yoga application,
but suggests you do it with friends altogether.”
Let us re-acquire our Time and Focus
- *“We must all speak up if we want this to become a priority” -*“Millions of hours are simply stolen from people’s lives, people being manipulated every day, and
there’s no public debate about it!”
Same goes for Matthew Crawford. Our civilization is going through an “Attention Crisis”. Why? With Focus appears the problem of Distraction, generally perceived as a
problem linked to omnipresent, if not invasive, Technologies, turning silence into a rare and precious resource.
- *“In airports, all surfaces are used for advertisement to catch our attention. Silence is a luxury that you can only enjoy in Business Class waiting rooms.” -
*“Attention being a rare resource, we must think of a politic economy for it.”
Focus is at the heart, linking manual and intellectual Work:
- *“When focusing on solving a problem, for instance diagnose an engine failure, you need full concentration. This happens naturally. The work absorbs us.” - *“The
key role of practice and skills in gathering our mental energies to escape the mental fragmentation and the lack of attention we constantly complain about”
Manual Work and intellectual Work go hand in hand to perceive the World:
- * “We think before we do. What’s appreciable with the objects we handle is that they’ll say right away if we’re handling them right or not. There’s an immediate
feedback” - * “the manual work brings us back to the thinking through the experience” - * “We learn the world by handling it”
Other than an economic and politic dimension, we come across a philosophical dimension.
Amplified by the Enlightenment, Descartes’s view was: “We understand the world through our mental representation”. Here, the “active implication” with
objects, requiring “skilled practices” allows us to go into the World and perceive it, as well as to better encompass the Reality.
Let us put behind this comprehension inherited from the Enlightenment, namely the body/mind separation.
- *“the language of FREEDOM, particularly the Freedom of choice as the satisfaction of preferences, has become the language of the Silicon Valley. The advertisement/marketing (…) implies a
passive commitment, cutting us out from the world” -*There is a new form of deterioration and exploitation of the human mind and we can’t see it if we stick to the Enlightenment
- *” What we may be able to do, is trying to model for the others what could be a non-ideological thinking, hoping some will find something that contributes to their own effort of
Let us find again the link between body and mind
Let us link up practice and thinking
Let us favour the reality of life instead of ideological models
Let us inspire the new experiences issued from Reality
Our Focus allows us to listen to our intuition and to become aware of our Dream/Project/Life.
- *” When you have a dream, it doesn’t often come at you screaming in your face, “this is who you are, this is who you must be for the rest of your life. Sometimes a dream almost
Let us first cultivate our Focus for ourselves and then pass it on.
- *” And I’ve always said to my kids, the hardest thing to listen to, your instinct, your human personal intuition always whispers, it never shouts, very hard to hear, so you have to everyday
of your life be ready to hear what whispers in your ear.”
It passes through our emotions and models our thoughts and actions towards our Dream/Project/Life.
- *” A dream very rarely shouts. And if you can listen to the whisper, and if it tickles your heart, and it’s something you want to do for the rest of your life, then that is going to be what
you do for the rest of your life, and we will benefit from everything you do”
Let us become fully aware of this natural but also fragile Focus Intelligence
Let us take great care of it
Let us note how it links up heart, mind and body
Let us feel and act. Our Focus is leading us to our Dream
We have all the keys already
It’s on us to use them as good as possible
From Dream to the Reality, there is only one tiny step
Together, let us make the leap
Guillaume APOLLINAIRE (1880-1918), major precursor of the surrealist movement:
“Come to the edge
We can’t, we’re afraid
Come to the edge
We can’t, we’ll fall
Come to the edge
And they went
And he pushed them
And they flew”
ABCDE – Elisabeth BRIGANT
Apprendre par la Boussole Consciente des Dynamiques Energiques
Together, work with our power to take action
mob: +33 (0)6 63 42 07 25